As a public service to The Tasting Panel, if you are a producer that crafts a high end Grenache or a Grenache Blend, you have an opportunity to pour at a walk-around tasting in the LA area. There’s no fee, just pour your wine and have someone to represent the brand. Space is limited, so you want to contact Meridith May at The Tasting Panel ASAP.
Visit for Summit updates: www.globalgarnachasummit.com
Here’s what you can expect
- An overview of the variety and its global impact.
- An Old Vines + Modern Wines seminar that explores how Garnacha/Grenache evolves with age
A tasting of 100% varietal expressions and blends to demonstrate how the variety expresses itself in different regions around the globe
- An altitude tasting of Garnacha using taste differences in wines from varying altitudes in its home region of Carinena DOP in Aragon, Spain
- How Garnacha/Grenache can be best positioned in today’s marketplace
- A sensory exploration of the myriad styles this grape is capable of expressing via a walkaround tasting of food and wine pairings from California, France, and Spain, as well as an opportunity to taste an unusual (and literal) vertical of Garnacha
- Finally, for those who want to flex their tasting muscles: a blind tasting “guess the region” competition with a $1,000 first prize and $500 second prize.
April 24, 2018 CIA at Copia Napa ~ The Summit Program
The full-day Global Garnacha Summit features two seminars with limited seats, so please make sure to register early for your chosen selection. Garnacha Unveiled, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. A panel of leading producers from Spain, France, and California will explore the classic varietal characteristics of the variety; how it performs in different regions/terroir around the globe; and how it’s interpreted by renowned producers from around the world.
Master Sommelier Robert Bath, Professor of Wine and Beverage Studies at the Culinary Institute of America at Copia, will moderate the seminar. Garnacha:
- The Perfect Partner 12:15 to 1:45 p.m. ~ This walk-around wine and food pairing featuring the Chefs of Copia will meld the signature flavors of Spain, France, and California with both 100% Garnacha and blends from around the world.
- Garnacha Rising 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. ~ A panel of leading sommeliers, buyers, and distributors will discuss historical strategies for promoting Garnacha wines in addition to current consumption trends. The panelists will also exchange ideas for promoting Garnacha in today’s marketplace with a focus on making it a “Millennial” wine of choice.
- Blind Tasting of Garnacha/Grenache 4:00 to 4:30 p.m. ~ Led by The SommFoundation, with cash prizes of $1,000 for first place and $500 for second place.
Producers: If you’d like to participate on a panel or present your wines at this event, contact Meridith May at MMay@SOMMJournal.com.
Attendees: If you are a qualified sommelier, wine director, wine retailer, F&B director, or restaurateur, send an email with your address and job title to Meridith May at MMay@SOMMJournal.com.