Tuesday, July 26, 2011, 8:30 a.m.
$100 for members of PS I Love You ~ $150 for non-members
Mark Oldman, most recent author of Oldman’s Brave New World of Wine, has been chosen as the Keynote Speaker for the Ninth Annual Petite Sirah Symposium at Concannon Vineyard.
On May 27, 2011, Oldman’s Brave New World of Wine received the Georges Duboeuf Wine Book of the Year. Last year, this prestigious award was given to Randall Grahm of Bonny Doon Vineyard, for his wine book Been Doon So Long.
Scope of the Keynote Address
With the understanding that Petite Sirah could be more mainstreamed as a variety, Mark Oldman will expand upon his beliefs and experiences; i.e., that Petite Sirah offers great pleasure, value, and adventure beyond wine’s usual suspects.
Oldman is the critically acclaimed author of many wine books: Oldman’s Brave New World of Wine, Oldman’s Guide to Outsmarting Wine, Les Bons Plans Vin de Mark Oldman, Mes Bonnes Bouteilles, Mes Conseils de Dégustation, Mes Astuces pour Acheter, Conserver, et Servir Le Vin, スタイルワイン・ブック (単行本) ~ title translates to “Wine Style Book,” a foray into the Far East.
Mark Oldman’s high visibility persona makes him a perfect fit for the Petite Sirah Symposium. He’s acutely aware of PS I Love You’s mission and accomplishments, stating in his Brave New World chapter: “The advocacy group has sponsored events like Dark & Delicious and Blue Tooth Tour, for instance…”
According to PS I Love You President, John Concannon, “Understanding what creates great Petite Sirahs, ‘Older vines, from which many of the Petites are sourced, tend to produce more flavorful wines, than younger vines…’ Mark Oldman’s experiences have him stating the positives of the tannins, from which we vintners could market our Petites. He’ll be addressing Petite’s great aging potential and foods that pair well with the variety in an effort to help vintners better market their Petite Sirahs.”
If there is a tipping point for Petite Sirah, Oldman will discuss what he believes it might be with regard to better messaging for the betterment of the variety.
Registrations are being accepted online at www.psiloveyou.org.
- Aratas Wines ~ Member (only Member from Virginia)
- Artezin Wines ~ Member (Napa)
- Concannon Vineyard ~ Sponsor ~ Member (Livermore)
- Girard Winery ~ Member (Napa)
- Guglielmo Winery ~ Member (Santa Clara Valley)
- Heringer Estates ~ Member (Clarksburg)
- Justice Grace ~ Member (San Francisco)
- McCay Cellars ~ Member (Lodi)
- Nottingham Cellars ~ Member (Livermore)
- Robert Biale Vineyards ~ Presenting ~ Member (Napa)
- Rock Wall Wine Company ~ Member (Alameda)
- Ruby Hill Winery (Livermore)
- Vina Robles ~ Member (Paso Robles)
- Vincent Arroyo ~ Member (Napa)
- Wilson Vineyards ~ Presenting~ Member (Clarksburg)
- Brian Geagan ~ Presenting ~ Canton Cooperage
- Christine Thomas ~ Saury Cooperage
- Wilfred Wong ~ Wine blogger and buyer for BevMo
- Mark Oldman ~ Keynote Speaker ~ International author and MarkOldman.com
- Betty Kaufman ~ Wine Tastings and More
- Dan Berger ~ Toasting to 50 More Years ~ Vintage Experiences
- Deborah Grossman ~ DeborahGrossman.com
- Ellen Landis ~ Presenting ~ Sommelier, proprietor of Landis Shores Luxury Inn, and Ellen on Wine
- Laura Ness ~ Wine Writer and HerVineNess
- Randy Caparoso ~ Wine Writer and blogger of Culinary Wine and Food Adventures
- Steve Heimoff ~ Wine Writer, Wine Enthusiast and SteveHeimoff.com