We’ve managed to sell out this event, since the beginning of it in February of 2007. Kent Rosenblum, sitting on the PSILY board of directors, suggested that we do something similar to ZAP’s good eats… He was also a member of their board at the time and knew the ropes. Kent was also very aware of the successes a non-profit wine group has with consumer events, for building varietal awareness. Kent offered Rosenblum Cellars as a place to hold it, and we were off and running.
Kent Rosenblum, by the way, is a brilliant marketer. He was the first person to believe that Petite Sirah needed an advocacy group, sending the first check that allowed a Website to be built; financially launching the dream. He’s carried that same passion to Rock Wall Wine Company.
We’ve always had this event around Valentines Day, for the obvious PS I Love You reasons. This coming year, it’s February 18. We’re still associated with Kent Rosenblum with this one, holding it at his new company, called Rock Wall Wine Company. Everything Kent touches turns to gold, it seems, so his new company is mushrooming, too. I know someday we’ll outgrow the venue, but we are giving it one more try this year.
- Our first year, his company walls were bare, and we had so much room you could bring an airplane into that old airplane hanger.
- The next year (last year), the walls had begun to come in, based on the new companies emerging under his roof.
- This year, we’ve lost even more floor space, but we’re going to give it a try, filling in the empty floor that I looked at last year.
- In 2012, I can only wonder if we’ll have outgrown each others’ needs; meanwhile, we’re headed back to Alameda, and the wineries and foodies are happily signing up for 2011.
In some regards, it’s a large event… about 800 people under one roof with 40 wineries and 30 foodies, if you compare it to a wedding reception, lets say.
Then again, when you think of wine events that host 8,000 people, we’re much smaller. I guess this is a medium-sized event, and one that I don’t ever see being really large… People love the intimacy, so we’ve also limited ticket sales to what feels manageable.
The wineries pouring are the true, the proud, and the passionate among the Petite producers. And I’m delighted daily with the joy I have working with so many wonderful people behind so many amazing brands.
Before very long the list of foodies and wineries will be complete, as the members continue to meet the registration deadline. BTW – Only PSILY members can pour at this one, and is also an attraction for new members to sign up.
- Larry Schaffer of Tercero Wines has just become a new member, saying that he wished he had done it last year. He’s now carrying the banner for Santa Barbara County. The people who’ve attended each Dark & Delicious event have a real treat in store for themselves with Larry’s wine this year… A new flavor from a new region, filled with artisan passion.
- JRE Wines is another new addition. John Robert Eppler handcrafts wines in Sonoma, and like Larry’s wines, this is another artisan winery that has joined Kent Rosenblum’s merry band of vintners at Rock Wall Wine Company.
- Coral Brown of Brown Estate Vineyard, has also joined our merry band of Petite lovers. She told me that she’s just taste a barrel sample of Petite Sirah, and it was so delicious. Having this winery join PSILY is delicious enough for me.
So… to date… work behind the scenes for the last month, the details as they currently exist….
- Angela’s Bistro
- Asena Restaurant
- Blue Heron Catering
- Chef Adair
- Fiscalini Cheese
- Fume Bistro
- Great American Barbeque
- Mary’s Pizza Shack
- Montibella Sausage
- Savoy Events
- Sweet Things
- The Hobnob
- Venga Paella
- Artezin Wines
- Aver Family Vineyards
- Ballentine Vineyards
- Berryessa Gap Vineyards
- Bogle Winery
- Brown Estate
- Clayhouse Wines
- Concannon Vineyard
- Diamond Ridge
- Don & Sons
- EOS Estate Winery
- Estrella Creek Wines
- F. Teldeschi Winery
- Foppiano Vineyards
- Gustafson Family Vineyards
- Harney Lane
- JRE Wines
- Mettler Family Vineyards
- Miro Cellars
- Mounts Family Winery
- R&B Cellars
- Robert Biale Vineyard
- Rock Wall Wine Company
- Rutherford Grove
- Silkwood Wines
- Tercero Wines
- Trentadue Winery
- Tres Sabores
- Twisted Oak
- Vina Robles
- Wilson Vineyards
Tickets will be going on sale for consumers at the end of November, and will be $60 again this year.
Where can you wine and dine for three hours, free parking, no gratuity for $60 on a Friday night? Dark & Delicious, that’s where… Rock Wall Wine Company, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Friday, February 18, 2011.
Jo, can’t wait to go to D&D! My mouth is watering just looking at the list of restaurants.
I’m so excited that you’re going to be there, too. The foods with the wine is always amazing…
Jo — Larry’s one of my 3 (remember my new years resolution?).
Can I pay for a membership for a microwinery? Maybe it’s cheating, but I *REALLY* want to get Aaron Jackson involved in PSILY — his PaSsion and youth (and marketing — my GF, who is in branding, said that his website and wine bottles were the best-branded she’d ever seen!) is something that would be great for him and for PSILY.
Can’t wait for D&D ’11!!! I’ll be there with my PoSse, as usual 🙂
Looks like you’re going to be having a New Year’s Resolution come true (perhaps a smidgen bit late, but mark it off the list).
Microwinery membership? We can create anything. I love watching things grow, that have that intention. I’m going to have my crew create the category and get it onto our membership roster. I hadn’t thought about anything like that, and it can include home winemakers… Great idea!
See you and your PoSse in February… I like the usualness of that.
Jo, it’s Aaron Jackson (aaronwines.com) — I’m pretty sure he’s a small producer and not about the 500 case mark, but I’m not exactly sure where he is. And he regularly bottles a PS rose (which is GREAT in the summer).
So he’s Aaron – at – aaronwines.com . Just let me know how much it will be for his membership, and I’ll paypal it over. You can let him know that it’s from me 🙂
What a wonderful gift for him. I’ll have Jose (Webmaster) create the category, and will let you know when it’s available.
I’m also going to run it by my board of directors… We’re incorporated. They’ll be thrilled, but want to tell them first. They go along with great recommendations, and may also have friends, relatives, colleagues that fit into this size.