About Jo Diaz
Jo Diaz moved to California, in 1992, after an 11 years in broadcasting, involving PR, producing, and photography. Segued into the wine industry in 1993, she’s been employed by Hambrecht Wine Group (Belvedere and Grove Street wineries), Robert Mondavi, Barefoot Cellars, Ironstone Vineyards, and Kendall-Jackson, while simultaneously working on a wine sales and marketing degree. In 2001, Diaz launched Diaz Communications, in 2002 founded PS I Love You (Petite Sirah advocacy group) and continues to be PSILY’s executive director. In 2002, she also founded the Association of African American Vintners. In 2011, she founded the Oregon Pinot Gris marketing group. Diaz produced annual events: Oregon Pinot Gris and Petite Sirah symposiums, as well as Petite Sirah’s Dark & Delicious wine and food event.
The Balloon Fairy (not listed on my formal resume, but still am.) Began in 1984.
Jo Diaz Published
- The Power of Getting Away: ghost writer, designer, typesetter
PUBLISHED on-line with wine business publications: Wine publications
- The Wine News, Coral Gables, Florida
- Wine Business Monthly
- The Tasting Panel (formerly Patterson’s Beverage Journal)
- Wine Country This Week
- Vine Times
- Winefest (Texas)
- On-line with wine business publications:
PUBLISHED in music publications with images and bylines:
Curriculum Vitae ~ Jo Diaz
Wine Educator, Wine Writer, Photographer, Wine Blogger, Public Relations Specialist, Marketer, Copy Writer, Executive Director of Wine Variety Group
Getting to the heart of a subject and telling the story; creating unique perspectives, writing persuasively, two decades of successfully working in the wine business, accomplishing market campaigns, understanding public relations and marketing, being published as writer and photographer, organizing events
- Veteran wine writer: approved for publishing story written about potential Chilean story to include photography
- Published Photographer
- Interview skills (11 year career in radio broadcasting, producing a community issues talk program, interviewing many people, from five star general, to dairy farmer, to university program director, with everyone in between.)
- Aggregated by wine trade journals and many other Websites as a veteran writer
Educational and Academic Background
- Originally studied education: by 23 years old, was director of Cosmetology school in Maine.
- While a district sales manager and communications coordinator of Hambrecht Wine Group, completed the Associates Degree Program of wine sales and marketing at Santa Rosa Junior College, in Sonoma County.
Teaching and Research Experience
- Director of a School of Cosmetology in Bangor Maine
- Director of a Androscoggin Day Camp for Girl Scout for three years in Sabattus, Maine
- Substitute teacher for S.A.D. 52, Maine for five years
- FM Radio for 11 years
- Producer of community issues talk program
- Producer of health segments
- Wine Educator at Robert Mondavi Winery.
- As publicist, have researched and written many presentations for winery owners.
- Organize consumer events
- Dark & Delicious with over 60 wine companies and over 30 foodies (restaurants and caterers) ~ 7th Annual, Feb. 22, 2013
- Masters of Petite Sirah at Markham Vineyards
- Worked for the following companies
- Belvedere Winery
- Grove Street Winery
- Barefoot Cellars
- Robert Mondavi Winery
- Ironstone Vineyards
- Kendall-Jackson Winery
- Created and executive director of PS I Love You, since 2002
- Membership drives
- Organized trade events with members of PS I Love You, Inc.
- Blue Tooth Tour, promoting Petite Sirah to trade, in the following cities San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Santa Fe, Dallas, Houston, Boston, New York, Baltimore, Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Fort Worth, St. Louis, and Chicago
- Produced two annual wine Symposiums ~ responsible for all aspects, from conception, to program and speakers, to marketing and PR
- 11th Annual Petite Sirah Symposium; July, Livermore, California
- 3rd Annual Pinot Gris Symposium; June, Willamette Valley, Oregon
- Worked for the following companies
Jo Diaz ~ Presentations
- Scheduled and participated in wine festival tasting panels about Petite Sirah with the following:
- Society of Wine Educators
- Santa Fe Chile Fiesta
- Florida Wine Fest
- American Wine Society
- Lectured with the Department of Commerce,
- Under the SABIT (Special American Business Internship Training) Program’s Wine Marketing and Promotion
- Midwest Wine Grape Symposium ~ How to Start A Single Wine Grape Variety Advocacy Group
- American Wine Society ~ Cabernet Franc As A Noble Variety
- UC Davis Extension Program ~ PR and Social Media for Small Wineries (since 2009)
Thanks to GetXperts.com for their excel help.