2

Food & Wine,Holiday,Wine

The Stuffing ~ Since 1994, The Ultimate Thanksgiving from Bon Appétit Paired with some favorite wines

DISCLAIMER: Wine-Blog is a journal of my PR wine activities and learnings. 1) I occasionally write stories about wine clients, but don’t charge them for that time. 2) All wine reviews originate from free samples, sent by PR people representing the brands. 3) Images are mostly mine, some are purchased, a few rare ones are part of fair trade usage.

Since November 1994, the Ultimate Thanksgiving issue from Bon Appétit holds the most delicious recipes ever. And each year, I run right back to this well worn issue, to continue the journey. In fact, this magazine is the only one that has survived any other magazines over the years.

Why this issue, among all others? Because Bon Appétit took the time to organize “Thanksgiving meal-course by course, dish by dish-into its delicious components.”

Turkey and Gravy Stuffing Cranberry Sauce
The Potatoes The Vegetables Pickles and Relishes
Hors d’Oeuvre Bread and Rolls Soups
Salads* Desserts

 

Yesterday covered the Bird!

Today, its Stuffing and its Wines

Northern California Oyster Stuffing

  • 2015 Pinot Bourgogne Pinot Noir, Prosper Maufoux
  • This exceptional tapestry of Pinot Noir is made from vineyards located in Santenay, Pommard, Volnay, Chambolle-Musigny, and Vosne-Romanée, by 80 percent. The other 20 percent of the Pinot grapes come from  declassified village appellations of Auxey-Duresses and Maranges. What a marvelous way to blend Pinot Noir flavors, and – as noted above – it’s a melange. Food friendly? You bet it is! With only 12 percent alcohol. Soft and supple, it just slips into silk sheets of layers. Earthy plum notes on the nose and when you take that first sip, it just follows through. The finish was soft and oh so pleasant. Make sure there are some mushrooms in that oyster stuffing… It will bring it all home.
  • FROM THEIR WEB: The grape selection is both massal (visual selection of the most robust vine-plants) and clonal. The grapes are harvested by hand and sorted manually. Next step is a cold maceration in stainless tanks. A 20 day vatting time with punching of the cap (three) 3 times a day follows. The wine is put into Burgundy barrels for the malolactic fermentation and the ageing.

 

Midwestern Whole Wheat Dried Fruit Stuffing

  • 2012 Meursault-Blagny 1er CRU ‘La Genelotte’ Comtesse Chardonnay
  • Love something light and lemony, that finishes with light floral notes? Do you also love a Burgundy? This is the one. It’s very special, especially if you have any French roots, in any varying degree of French (except for you Bordeaux folks). This Meursault is the crème de la crème. If you’re enjoying wine this Thanksgiving, you know you’ve done something right for some great Karma, when you taste and enjoy this Meursault-Blagny.
  • FROM KERMIT LYNCH WEBSITE: Ancient vines, a high-altitude limestone vineyard, a low-yielding vintage that delivered concentrated wines, long and slow aging in oak in a deep stone cellar dug into the hillside . . . all the makings for an explosive Meursault-Blagny. Another world from the golden slopes just below, Meursault-Blagny is only produced from the vineyards around the Hameau de Blagny, a village founded by Cistercian monks in the twelfth century.

 

Mid-Atlantic Mushroom and Chestnut Stuffing

  • 2016 Mâcon-Villages, Vin de Bourgogne, Prosper Maufoux
  • The 2016 Mâcon-Villages, Vin de Bourgogne, Prosper Maufoux is a rich, delicious wine, gold in color, with citrus notes evolving in very soft vanilla accents, from its oak aging. Such a deliciously smooth mouthfeel, you might forget you’re enjoying wine. This Chard is so appropriate for the holidays. It reminds me of Billie Holiday’s voice… Sultry… and as smooth as a newborn’s skin.
  • FROM THEIR WEBSITE: GREAT VITICULTURAL TRADITION ~ The skills and know-how at Prosper Maufoux have been at the service of a wide range of Burgundian appellations since 1860. Whether they are regional appellations or Grand Crus, the firm remains equally exacting in terms of vine tending techniques, grape quality, vinification and maturing; always aiming at getting the very best from each terroir.

I hope you’ve found something here that will make your Thanksgiving as delicious as you are! I’m thankful for you and wish you the best this holiday season

2 Responses to “The Stuffing ~ Since 1994, The Ultimate Thanksgiving from Bon Appétit Paired with some favorite wines”

  1. Me too, except it is the November 1999 issue of the same magazine that remains on our bookshelf. I refer to it every Thanksgiving. Cheers!

  2. Jo Diaz says:

    Sisterhood! Thanks for sharing, Nancy. I have a sneaking suspicion we’re not alone in this department.

Leave a Reply

``

*