Winston Churchill loved paraprosdokians. They’re figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence, or phrase, is either surprising or unexpected.
And, by the way, Happy Fifth Day of Christmas ~ Five golden rings = first five books of the Old Testament.
I came up with one of my own paraprosdokian years ago, not hearing it ever said before; but I’ve I’ve heard it a few times it since. I now see it popping up occasionally, as great minds do think alike.
Time wounds all heels.
It a good response for Karma, for someone who really deserves it. (I can think of a few people, and I’m betting that you can, too.)
My father’s favorite: I’d like to help you out. Which way did you come in?
I just had a friend send the following to me, and I know that there are a few of you who would also love reading them. So, on the Fifth Day of Christmas, here’s my gift to you, today, to enjoy with a great glass of wine…
Merry (Lingering) Christmas!
- Where there’s a will, I want to be in it.
- The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it’s still on my list.
- Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
- If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
- War does not determine who is right – only who is left.
- Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
- They begin the evening news with ‘Good Evening,’ then proceed to tell you why it isn’t.
- To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
- I thought I wanted a career. Turns out, I just wanted pay checks.
- In filling out an application, where it says, ‘In case of emergency, notify:’ I put “DOCTOR.”
- I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
- Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street…with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
- Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
- A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
- You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
- Money can’t buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
- There’s a fine line between cuddling and… holding someone down so they can’t get away.
- I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not so sure.
- You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
- To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
- Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.
- Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
- Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
- I’m supposed to respect my elders, but now it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one.