The criteria were stringent, lest the award by PS I Love You be taken lightly:
Growers must have been growing Petite Sirah from 1884, when it first arrived in the United States. The range for growers is from 1884 until 1972.
Producers must have been varietally labeling Petite Sirah between 1964 and 1974, which is within the first 10 years of it being marketed as labeled Petite. (This was still a very innovative and risky time to be introducing Petite Sirah as a variety.)
These awards were a very important way of honoring those passionate vintners, growers, and winemakers who have committed themselves to guaranteeing Petite Sirah’s placement in California history, as a historical cultivar.
Each one of these members became a member of PS I Love You, not to be included in a social networking group, but as committed vintners, winemakers, and/or growers. Each believes that his or her obligation to Petite Sirah has deep chronological significance. The actions of each is constantly selfless, and I’m continually amazed by how devoted each member is.
This will be an annual award given to new, incoming members of PS I Love You who meet the criteria.
Pictured front row, left to right: Richard Mounts, John Alger, Jim Pedroncelli, Patty Bogle, and Leo Trentadue.
Pictured back row, left to right: Craig Moore, Van Ballentine, Larry Mettler, and Jim Concannon.
Absent from photo: Carole Meredith, John Staten, Dan Teldeschi, Paul Dolan, David Bruce, Kevin Morrissey, Robert Brittan, and Bruce Fry.
The complete list of members who received Founders Awards were the following:
1. Dr. Carole Meredith, UC Davis’s geneticist who discovered the DNA fingerprinting for Petite Sirah/Durif.
2. Field Stone Winery – John Staten
3. Foppiano Vineyards – Louis J. Foppiano, Sr. (Louis M. Foppiano accepted for Louis J. Foppiano)
4. Concannon Vineyard – Jim Concannon
5. Ballentine Vineyards – Van Ballentine
6. F. Teldeschi Winery – Dan Teldeschi
7. Pedroncelli Winery – John Pedroncelli (Jim accepted for John Pedroncelli)
8. Mettler Family Vineyards – Larry Mettler
9. Parducci Wine Estates – Paul Dolan
10. Mounts Vineyards – Richard Mounts
11. Bogle Winery – Patty Bogle
12. Trentadue Winery – Leo Trentadue
13. Alger Vineyards – John Alger
14. David Bruce Winery – David Bruce
15. Langtry Estates – Orville Magoon (Craig Moore accepted for Orville Magoon)
16. Stags’ Leap Winery – Kevin Morrissey
17. Brittan Vineyards – Robert Brittan
18. Mohr-Fry Ranches – Bruce Fry